Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Frequently Asked Questions
WHERE ARE YOU LOCATED?
1090 Waimano Home Road, Pearl City, HI 96782
WHAT TIME DOES SCHOOL START?
WHAT TIME DOES SCHOOL END?
2:00 p.m. on M, Tu, W, Th
1:00 p.m. Friday
WHAT TIME CAN I BRING MY CHILD TO SCHOOL / PICK UP AFTER SCHOOL?
You may bring your child to school no earlier than 7:15 a.m. and pick up no later than 2:10 p.m.
WHERE CAN I PARK SO I CAN WALK MY CHILD TO CAMPUS? (Due COVID we encourage you to drop off your child in the circle.)
- Parking is available at Pacheco Park. You may park in any lined stall that is NOT marked with a reserved sign.
- Street parking is also available on Luehu St., which is a public residential street.
- Just a reminder - ALL stalls in the circle are reserved for teachers.
- Just a reminder - there is NO parking in the café area or by the rubbish dumpsters.
CAN I WALK MY CHILDREN TO THEIR CLASSROOM IN THE MORNING?
No, due to COVID we ask that parents remain in the courtyard and do not go to the classes. Children will be excused from the courtyard to walk to their classes within their perspective "bubble".
WHAT ARE THE PROCEDURES FOR DROP OFF IN THE CIRCLE AREA?
- Please pull forward as much as you can.
- Have your child seated on the right so s/he can exit on the curbside.
- Students will be met at the top of the stairs for a health check.
DOES MY CHILD NEED A UNIFORM?
- Yes, uniforms can be purchased from the PTO Virtual School Store. Uniforms help identify which children are registered at our school.
WHAT EXTRA CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES ARE AVAILABLE? (Due to COVID, these activities are pending at this time.)
- During school hours - we offer a variety of extra-curricular activities that span many interests e.g. chorus, basketball, PAC – Positive Action Club and much, much, more. Please see our listing of activities under -- students / clubs and activities.
- After school - we are fortunate to be the recipient of the 21st Century Grant, various activities are offered after school at no cost to you. In the past we’ve had classes on coding, digital media, Mandarin Chinese to name a few. For further information please call 307-5433 (Ms. Tammy).
WHAT KIND OF TUTORING SERVICES DO YOU OFFER? (Please check back for details pending the COVID situation.)
Free after school tutoring (reading and math), is offered to students in grades K-6, based on teacher recommendation. Free Half day tutoring is also offered during the fall, winter, spring, and summer intersessions.
WHERE CAN I GET INFORMATION ABOUT AFTER SCHOOL CHILD CARE?
- A+ after school program starts after school and runs until 5:30 p.m. Click on this "A+ After School Program" link for more information.
- Before school program which starts at 6:00 a.m. and runs until school begins. Click on this "Kidz Kare Before School Program" link for more information.
IF MY CHILD IS ABSENT WHAT IS THE PROCEDURE? (Circumstancing change due to COVID, please call the office the latest information.)
Please notify the office in the morning with your child’s name, grade, teacher, room number, reason for absence, and if you want to request homework. Homework for a sick child will be given from the student’s SECOND day of absence. In order to allow teachers sufficient time to gather and write directions between class instruction time, requests must be made before 9 a.m. for pick up at the school office between 2 and 4 p.m. Also please remember to send a written note with your child when s/he returns to school. On your note please indicate the reason for absence. Every school day is important for your child's education. Please plan vacations according to the school calendar as these are considered unexcused absences.
HOW CAN I GET A MESSAGE TO MY CHILD
Telephones in the classrooms are for school business only. Please make all after school arrangements with your child(ren) PRIOR to the start of the school day. For EMERGENCY communication, please contact the office.
HOW DO I REQUEST AN EARLY RELEASE FOR MY CHILD?
Parents may request to have their child released early from school. Please send a signed note with an explanation to your child’s teacher. A child cannot be released on his/her word alone. A child is not permitted to leave the school grounds once they arrive on campus during school hours unless escorted by an authorized adult. Teachers are not authorized to release students to parents who come to the classroom. Parents must report to the office to sign their child out from school. Also, the person picking up the child must have a proper PHOTO ID AND be listed on the emergency card. Whenever possible, please avoid scheduling dental and medical appointments during instructional hours. Students will NOT be sent to the office until the parent arrives and has signed out the student. Please plan accordingly.
CAN I BRING IN CUPCAKES FOR MY CHILD’S BIRTHDAY?
We discourage students from eating foods that do not meet the Wellness Guidelines. Please consider healthier alternatives or non-food items. Please keep in mind that we are a peanut FREE school. Our cafeteria does not serve any food with peanut or nut ingredients. We appreciate your assistance in helping your child understand that foods containing peanuts or nuts are not allowed in school.
WHAT IS THE REQUIRED AGE FOR CHILDREN ENTERING KINDERGARTEN?
Hawaii schools do not have a Pre-K or Junior-K program. Children who are 5 years old by July 31 may enroll in Kindergarten for that school year. For example, children who are 5 years old by July 31, 2021 may enroll in kindergarten for the 2021-22 school year. Children who turn 5 on August 1 or later will enroll in the following school year.
WHAT IS THE GE (GEOGARPHIC EXCEPTION) PROCESS?
Please click to see the DOE GE Process. Geographic Exceptions are granted on a space available basis.